I want to invest in HANG SENG INDEX (Hong Kong Stock Market), I am from United States, Do I need Visa to invest?
The Government of Hong Kong only allows citizens of specific countries to travel to Hong Kong on business related purposes without having to obtain a visa for a duration of 14 days to 180 days. All others seeking entry are required to apply for a visa under the One Country, Two Systems policy, which means that even Chinese nationals have to pass through an immigration checkpoint before entering Hong Kong. Foreigners wishing to conduct business in Hong Kong have to satisfy Hong Kong investment visa requirements.
2 Main Types of Hong Kong Investment Visa Requirements
1) Entry for Business Investment Requirements
- Entrepreneurs seeking to relocate their businesses to Hong Kong can use this visa scheme, which is basically deemed a work permit that also allows a spouse and unmarried dependents under the age of 18 to enter. This visa is valid for one year and is renewable annually as long as the business remains viable.
- There is no minimum investment requirement; however, it is required that applicants can show proof that funds committed will be ample enough to cover startup costs, as well as maintain the business for a minimum period of 3 to 6 months.
- Suitable educational background, with a bachelor’s degree in the relevant field preferred.
- The company is required to incorporate prior to applying for the Entry for Investment visa itself.
- A detailed two year business plan also needs to be submitted for consideration.
- Proof of overseas residence is required, as well as a copy of the Business Registration Certificate.
- 4 to 6 months processing time.
2) Capital Investment Entrant Requirements
- Minimum assets of HK$10 Million during at least two years prior to application. Minimum investment of HK$10 Million within 6 months prior or after application.
- The visa is valid for 3 months, then can be renewed for another 3 months. After the investment has been made and verified, the visa remains valid for two years, then extended as long as the business remains viable.
- Along with the above mentioned requirements, the following requirements are mandatory for both types of visas:
- At least 18 years of age.
- No criminal records either in Hong Kong or country of residence, as well as no security objections.
- The business proposal can significantly contribute to the economy of Hong Kong.
- Proof of ability to support oneself and all other dependents without having to rely on Hong Kong public assistance.
Those are the main Hong Kong investment visa requirements; however, it is always advisable to seek the assistance of legal professionals in order not to run afoul of the eligibility requirements.